Youth Leadership Development (YLD) Programme
The Youth Leadership Development (YLD) Programme is designed by UNDP in collaboration with respective district and divisional secretariats and education institutions to empower youth from vulnerable communities to be able to provide support to Local Authorities and Community Based Organisations (CBOs) for project development and implementation in their own communities.
The Programme aims to train youth with the skills and knowledge needed to directly support CBOs at a community level. Youth are trained and encouraged to be representatives capable of decision making at the Grama Niladhari level who will be selected to be a part of CBO management committee. Further, they are equipped with the abilities required to lead development activities and participate in meetings that would network their representative organisations at Divisional Secretariat level.
The YLD programme is being implemented under the Governance for Local Economic Development (GLED) Programme targeting 840 youth from ten districts, namely Ampara, Anuradhapura, Batticaloa, Mannar, Monaragala, Puttalam, Vavuniya, Jaffna, Kilinochchi and Mullaitivu through the EU Support to District Development Programme (EU-SDDP) and the Northern Livelihood Development Project (NLDP III). The Programme consists of a study course delivered by identified universities in the respective geographic areas that encompass the attaining of desired qualifications for the future advancement of the participants.
Successful participants of the course will be equipped with the following skills and capabilities:
• Ability to understand the role and responsibilities of community structures and the government’s role in the empowering of these structures.
• Improved knowledge and skills related to developing proposals and formulating budgets and using project management techniques to implement and manage a variety of village level projects.
• Improved skills related to engaging in CBO level planning, which involves the analysis of community needs, resources, problems and issues.
• Improved knowledge in basic financial management, entrepreneurship and small business management at the community level.
• Improved skills and knowledge in leadership, effective communication, time management, and good governance principles that should be practiced at the community level.
• Enhances skills and knowledge related to small businesses and marketing providing business management solutions for small scale entrepreneurs.
• Empowered to act as trainers and mobilizers within their communities.
At present UNDP has entered in formal agreements with the University of Jaffna and Vavuniya Campus of the University of Jaffna, Uva Wellassa Univeristy to deliver these courses. Discussions are ongoing with select Universities in the other areas at present.