- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work. Visit UNDP's global website.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U. (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Geneva (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Mauritius & Seychelles
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- Samoa (Multi-country Office)
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Tokyo (Rep. Office)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- Research & Publications
- News Centre
Showing 1 - 20 of 90
14 May 2015
The discussion will focus on the adoption of the 19th Amendment, the process and its substance, as well as lessons learned from the exercise. This is important, as the 19th Amendment is likely to be a first step in a longer process of constitutional reform in the country.
01 Apr 2015
Mr. Haoliang Xu, the Assistant Secretary-General, Assistant Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme, Director of UNDP's Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific and Chair of the UN Regional Director’s Team for Asia and the Pacific will be visiting Sri Lanka from April 4-10, 2015.
12 Aug 2014
The Sri Lanka National Human Development Report 2014 on Youth and Development will be launched on August 12, 2014. Exploring the challenges of young people and opportunities for development, NHDR 2014 is expected to provide a new platform for youth policy development and reform.
21 Jul 2014
Opening of the Northern Provincial Centre of the Ministry of National Languages and Social Integration with the support of UNDP
Marking Social Integration Week 2014, the Northern Provincial Centre of the Ministry of National Languages and Social Integration was ceremoniously declared open by Hon. Vasudeva Nanayakkara, Minister of National Languages and Social Integration on July 15, 2014. The Centre is located in Kilinochchi.
21 Jul 2014
As part of Social Integration Week 2014, a street drama was organized at the Karachchi Divisional Secretariat in Kilinochchi by the Kilinochchi District participants of the Women’s Empowerment for Social Integration initiative to raise awareness on social integration and gender empowerment among communities in the area.
26 Jun 2014
The Ministry of Economic Development signed an agreement with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) to support the Governments rural livelihood development programmes to withstand climate-related shocks.
12 Feb 2014
On February 12, 2014, UNDP in Sri Lanka launched its new flagship programme, Strengthening Enforcement of Law, Access to Justice and Social Integration (SELAJSI), in the presence of Mr. Haoliang Xu, he visiting United Nations Assistant Secretary-General, Chair, United Nations Development Group Asia-Pacific and UNDP Assistant Administrator & Director, Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific.
05 Feb 2014
Mr. Haoliang Xu, the Assistant Secretary-General, Assistant Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme, Director of UNDP's Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific and Chair of the UN Regional Director’s Team for Asia and the Pacific will be visiting Sri Lanka from February 9-12, 2014.
28 Nov 2013
UNDP in collaboration with UNWomen and the Sri Lanka GBV Forum, supported the Ministry of Child Development and Women’s Affairs to hold a policy dialogue on “Gender Based Violence and Women in Peace Building: Linking the National Human Rights Action Plan”
25 Nov 2013
UNDP, under its Communities for Progress (C4PII) Project, together with the University of Colombo, commenced a workshop on technical capacity building of Community Based Organizations (CBOs) in Anuradhapura.
22 Nov 2013
A Certificate Course in Community Leadership Development was launched by Sri Lanka Foundation (SLF) in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) under the Communities for Progress (C4P II) project funded by the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAid).
07 Oct 2013
Thavachsri Charles Vijayaratnam’s from Sri Lanka has been named as a recipient of the 2013 N Peace Award for her unceasing efforts to improve the lives of rural communities. She will be among 6 other staunch women’s rights activist who will receive the 2013 N-Peace Awards, a prestigious prize which recognizes the leadership role of women and peace advocates from six conflict-affected countries in Asia.
17 Sep 2013
UNDP mourns the loss of Sunila Abeysekera, a renowned leader in women’s rights and defender of human rights, who died of cancer in Colombo on 9 September 2013. She was 61.
12 Sep 2013
Marking a key milestone, the Eastern Provincial Office of the Department of Registration of Persons was ceremoniously opened on September 10, 2013 by Mrs. Malkanthi Wickramasinghe, Secretary, Ministry of National Languages and Social Integration and Mr. J. A. Ranjith, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Defence, in the presence of Mr. R. M. S. Sarath Kumara, Commissioner General of the Department for Registration of Persons.
06 Sep 2013
UNDP Sri Lanka, in partnership with the Ministry of Public Administration and Home Affairs initiated the new ‘Governance for Local Economic Development’ (GLED) Programme. This new five year Programme will focus on strengthening governance capacities of sub-national level governance institutions, civil society, the private sector and communities in order to foster access to enhanced public sector service delivery and improve socio-economic opportunities and social cohesion across lagging and vulnerable regions in the North and East, while securing their transition from recovery to development.
05 Sep 2013
New programme on ‘Strengthening Enforcement of Law, Access to Justice and Social Integration in Sri Lanka’ comes into operation
UNDP, in partnership with four Ministries of the Government of Sri Lanka, has initiated a new Programme, “Strengthening Enforcement of Law, Access to Justice and Social Integration in Sri Lanka (SELAJSI)”. The new Programme builds on the support provided by UNDP over the past eight years through its Access to Justice Projects that contributed to increasing the awareness of local communities about their rights and the legal and judicial mechanisms to protect them.
08 Jul 2013
On Thursday, July 4, 2013, the UN Secretary General’s Envoy on Youth, Mr. Ahmad Alhendawi, who arrived in Colombo earlier that week, met with the UN Country Team, the UN Communications Group and the Youth Mechanism Group of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework.
27 May 2013
The newly established Fish Collection Centre in Kallapadu in the Mullaitivu District, built with support from the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and financial assistance from the Canadian International Development Agency, was ceremoniously opened and handed-over to the Fisheries’ Cooperative Societies Union (FCSU) on May 5, 2013.
22 Apr 2013
Supporting the establishment of the first regional office of the Department of Registration of Persons
Marking a key milestone, the office of the Department of Registration of Persons declared open its first regional office on April 22, 2013 at the Vavuniya Kachcheri Complex, built with the support of UNDP’s Equal Access to Justice Project and funded by UNHCR.
21 Apr 2013
Over 200 students representing 21 schools from the Northern, North Central and Eastern Provinces boarded the Peace Train from Badulla to Kandy marking the end of the Finale event of the Twinning Schools Programme (TSP) of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), an initiative which aims to improve interaction, understanding and co-existence between young people from different backgrounds and regions in Sri Lanka.
Contact UNDP in Sri LankaMedia Inquiries Phone: +94-112-580691
Mail: email@example.com Fax: +94-112-581116
- Today is the international day for biological diversity! ‘The conservation, restoration and sustainable use of biological diversity can help solve a range of societal challenges.’ – UN Secretary General, Ban Ki Moon Here’s how we are using Sustainable Development to protect biodiversity and empower communities in Sri Lanka: http://bit.ly/1ILQJm5 #IBD2015 #BiodiversitySustainsDevelopment 4 hours ago
- Plant a TREE on YOUR B’DAY & Make Your Next Generation Aware of Protecting Environment It was 16th May 2015, my beloved mother’s 64th birthday and thanks to my sister in law & brother, we allowed her to celebrate her b’day for the first time with all the family members ever loving children. What we decided to give her a birthday present, which will be in all minds forever therefore, we took few plants & asked my sister’s two daughters, the son & the daughter of mine to plant the trees with their beloved grandmother. Amazing, it was a real experience for them in their age to learn new way of celebrating b’day. In our society, to be a fulfilled person, he should; 1. Have a next generation with great values, ethics, behavior & wisdom. I am sure, she is very proud of having a great mother, son with practical entrepreneurship skills & the other son having potential to be a social innovator. 2. Plant a tree. In this case, she has done enough & even today she has not only done it, but also educated the third generation of good value of planting a trees & saving our environment. This is a real example for some guru’s in recent times who only talks about saving environment & global warming or climate change. 3. Write a book. Unfortunately in the face of it, she has not written a book. But the real meaning of this is the good values of the society to be carried forward to the next generation in an improved version. We are proud that she has read many books and was able to transfer it to us in a more practical way. Even educating us & our next generation good values like saving environment etc are real good example for this. Therefore, we are really proud to be her beloved sons & daughter & as per any belief, this is a classic example for great parenting & inculcating good values, ethics, and behavior is a real challenge for recent management gurus and if everyone starts from grass root level, we will have a better world!!! Thank you so much my beloved mother for what you have done for us in many ways. This is the best birthday gift I can give on my birthday for a safer, greener environment, let’s plant a tree on your b’day & educate your relatives, friends & rest of the world to follow you. This is the need of the hour my dear friends. (I did planting trees with my son, my daughter and my wife today) 18 hours ago
- "See more posts on"Facebook