- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work. Visit UNDP's global website.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U. (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Geneva (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Mauritius & Seychelles
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- Samoa (Multi-country Office)
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Tokyo (Rep. Office)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- Research & Publications
- News Centre
Showing 41 - 60 of 88
20 Mar 2012
Despite relative gains against MDG indicators on gender parity in education and wage employment, Sri Lanka still performs poorly on women’s political participation, with women’s representation in national parliament standing at 5.6% which is among the lowest in South Asia and in the Provincial Councils (PCs) and Local Authorities (LAs) at under 3%.
20 Mar 2012
Paddy is the staple food crop in Sri Lanka. It is also a major employment avenue in rural areas. Sri Lanka, aims to increase the present annual paddy production of 3.1 million tons to about 4.5 million tons by 2020. Increased cost of imported wheat flour has prompted Sri Lanka to look at the possibilities of using rice-based products as a substitute.
20 Mar 2012
On 21/09/11, the UNDP Equal Access to Justice Project celebrated the launch of one of its most important publications of the year, a manual to be used by Grama Niladharis (GNs) across the island to build their knowledge on the many laws and procedures that govern their day to day activities.
27 Feb 2012
UNDP recently concluded an independent evaluation of its Transition Recovery Programme (TRP) and Support to Mine Action Project (SMAP) to assess how it was faring in contributing to UNDP Sri Lanka’s Country Programme results. The TRP is UNDP’s flagship programme and provides recovery support to the conflict affected populations in the North and East, while the SMAP provides management support to the mine action sector in Sri Lanka.
10 Feb 2012
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) exchanged letters of cooperation with Aitken Spence Hotels at an event held on 9 February at the Sri Lanka Foundation Institute, Colombo. The exchange took place between Mrs. Razina Bilgrami, Deputy Country Director (Programmes), UNDP and Mr. Gemunu Goonawardena, Vice President, Aitken Spence Hotels.
05 Feb 2012
In preparation for the 2012 and 2013 HDRs, as part of its global consultation process, UNDP’s Human Development Report Office (HDRO) held a two day regional consultation involving over 40 participants from South Asia in Colombo on the 30th and 31st of January 2012. Jointly organized by the HDRO, UNDP Sri Lanka and the Institute of Policy Studies, the event brought together policy makers, academics and civil society representatives from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Myanmar Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Hon. D. E. W. Gunasekera, Minister of Human Resources Development was the Chief Guest at the opening ceremony.
27 Dec 2011
With the anticipated accelerated development, the Sri Lankan socio political environment is poised to change significantly within the next couple of years. Development pressures combined with climate induced processes may change the potential vulnerabilities of disasters. It is therefore necessary to harness the ideas and scientific knowledge to reduce disaster risks at policy, regional and community levels.
28 Nov 2011
On 2nd of November 2011, more than 80 children born to Sri Lankan families in India received confirmation of their Sri Lankan Citizenship during a ceremony held in Vavuniya. The initiative was conducted as part of the activities under UNDP’s Equal Access to Justice Project with the support of the District Secretariat in Vavuniya, the Citizenship Branch of the Department of Immigration and Emigration and the United Nations High Commission for Refugees.
08 Nov 2011
Improving the skills and capacities of Community Based Organizations (CBOs) is crucial to ensure better service delivery and stronger community participation in the development process. Further, it is also essential to strengthen the networking capabilities of these CBO’s with Government institutions such as the District Secretariat and Divisional Secretariat to achieve them.
19 Oct 2011
In marking the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, Senior Minister for International Monetary Co-operation, Hon. Dr. Sarath Amunugama, called for more detailed research and analysis of current social welfare practices to better define future programmes, as well as address issues such as their impact on labour mobility.
04 Oct 2011
The Pulopali West Coir Factory, located in the Pachchilaipalli DS Division in Kilinochchi District, was once abuzz with activity. With raw material, such as coconut fibre, readily available in the region, the factory provided employment to a large number of women from nearby villages.
27 Sep 2011
Based on its theme of social cohesion, the Communities for Progress (C4P II) project celebrated International Peace Day on 21st September 2011 in Vavuniya. Over 100 children, as well as parents and teachers from Ampara, Anuradhapura, Jaffna, Polonnaruwa and Vavuniya districts participated in a variety of events held on the day aimed at promoting inclusive participation and interaction among children and adults from diverse ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds.
06 Sep 2011
Providing access to improved veterinary services for livestock farmers will result in increased livestock production and profitability, while further strengthening the local livestock industry. For those living in the Vavunathivu DS Division in Batticaloa District, where livestock is the main source of income for nearly 4,000 families, an efficient veterinary service centre was a long-felt need.
01 Sep 2011
Every year on August 12, the United Nations celebrate International Youth Day to recognize the efforts of young people and encourage them to be more actively involved in making positive contributions to their communities.
05 Aug 2011
Providing improved services to the public and responding to their needs in an efficient manner are vital for further development of the country, and have been top priorities of both the Government and the UNDP. Strong public-service delivery systems and mechanisms will help meet this end.
03 Aug 2011
The Local Governance Project (LoGoPro) of UNDP, funded by the Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery, recently supported the construction of a playground in Poompugaar, in the Trincomalee District. The playground was declared open on July 2, 2011.
03 Aug 2011
The streets of Mullipothanai, in the Trincomalee District, are usually crowded on Thursdays, with both the young and old making the best of the weekly fair, organized by the Tambalagamam Pradeshiya Sabha. With about 170 to 180 vendors displaying a variety of items, the weekly fairs draw close to 4,000 villagers every time they are held.
17 Jun 2011
A training programme on “Mainstreaming Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) in Housing Sector of Northern Province” was held in Vavuniya on June 3, 2011 in Vavuniya. A two day programme, this was part of a series of training programmes focused on diverse aspects relating to disaster resistant housing construction in the Northern Province.
14 Jun 2011
In an effort to facilitate better monitoring of results of development programmes, the Department of Foreign Aid and Budget Monitoring, with the assistance of UNDP, launched a fully Integrated National Development Information System (INDIS) on June 3, 2011. The new web based system was launched in the presence of Dr. P. B. Jayasundera, Secretary to the Treasury and Mr. Douglas Keh, Country Director, UNDP.
13 Jun 2011
Officials from the Embassy of Japan visited Vavuniya District on May 4 and 5, 2011, to ascertain the progress of the ‘Integrated Programme for Empowering Conflict Affected Communities to Rebuild Their Lives in North and East of Sri Lanka’. The project is implemented by the United Nations Trust Fund for Human Security (HSTF) through UNDP, ILO and UNICEF.
Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: +94-112-581116
Contact UNDP in Sri LankaMedia Inquiries Phone: +94-112-580691
Mail: email@example.com Fax: +94-112-581116
- Ten Things that need to change by Senel Wanniarchchi - Panel Member #NHDR2014 launch event. #YouthNDev Wednesday AT 12:25 PM
- “Youth should be part of finding solutions to the difficulties they face, rather than simply being passive recipients of support identified and prioritized by adults… According to the National Youth Survey 2013, 72 percent of respondents indicated that their primary choice of engagement was through voting. Only a much smaller 5 percent appeared to be involved in direct political activism.” Extracted from the Sri Lanka National Human Development Report 2014. As a young person how can you engage in broader political and civic activities? What needs to change to facilitate your participation? As a young policymaker what are you doing to encourage youth engagement in civic and political dimensions? Tell us what you think. Join the conversation! තරුණ සමාජීය සහ දේශපාලන සහභාගිත්වය “තරුණයින් තමා මුහුණපාන ගැටලුවලට විසඳුම් සොයා යාමේදී වැඩිහිටියන් විසින් හඳුනාගනුලැබ ප්රමුඛත්වය දෙනු ලබන විසඳුම් නිහඬව පිළිගන්නවාට වඩා ඔවුන්ද ඒ විසඳුමෙහි කොටස්කරුවන් විය යුතුයි... 2013 ජාතික තරුණ සමීක්ෂණය අනුව ප්රතිචාර දැක්වූවන්ගෙන් සියයට 72 ක්ම තමන්ගේ ප්රාථමික සහභාගිත්වය ඡන්දය දීම පමණක් බව සඳහන් කළහ. සෘජු දේශපාලන ක්රියාකාරී සහභාගිත්වයක් ඇත්තේ සියයට 5 ක් වැනි සුළු පිරිසකගේ පමණි.” උපුටා ගැනීම් 2014 ශ්රී ලංකා ජාතික මානව සංවර්ධන වාර්තාවෙනි. තරුණයින් වශයෙන් ඔබට පුළුල් දේශපාලන හා සමාජ ක්රියාකාරිත්වයේ සහභාගි විය හැක්කේ කෙසේද? ඔබගේ සහභාගිත්වය පහසු කිරීම සඳහා වෙනස් කළ යුත්තේ කුමක්ද? තරුණ ප්රතිපත්ති සැලසුම්කරුවෙකු ලෙස සමාජ සහ දේශපාලන ක්ෂේත්රවල තරුණ සහභාගිත්වය දිරිමත් කිරීමට ඔබ කරන්නේ කුමක්ද? ඔබේ අදහස් අපට කියන්න. අප හා සාකච්ඡාවට එක් වන්න! இளைஞர்களின் குடியியல் மற்றும் அரசியல் பங்கேற்பு “இளைஞர்கள் வயது வந்தோர்களால் அடையாளம்காணப்பட்டு முன்னுரிமைப்படுத்தப்பட்ட விடயங்களினால் பெறும் உதவிகளை முனைப்பின்றி பெறுபவர்களாகவன்றி, அவர்கள் எதிர்கொள்ளும் பிரச்சினைகளுக்கு தீர்வுகாண்பதில் பங்காளிகளாக இருத்தல் வேண்டும்... தேசிய இளைஞர் ஆய்வு – 2013 இன் பிரகாரம், 72 வீதமானோர் பங்கேற்பின் முதன்மையான தெரிவு வாக்களிப்பாகும் என குறிப்பிட்டுள்ளனர். அதேநேரம் ஒரு சிறிய எண்ணிக்கையான 5 வீதமானோர் மாத்திரமே நேரடியான அரசியல் நடவடிக்கைகளில் பங்கேற்கின்றனர்.” இலங்கை தேசிய மானிட அபிவிருத்தி அறிக்கை 2014 இல் இருந்து எடுக்கப்பட்டது நீர் ஒரு இளைஞராக எவ்வாறு இந்த பரந்த அரசியல் மற்றும் குடியியல் செயல்முறைகளில் பங்கேற்க முடியும்? உங்களது பங்கேற்பை வளப்படுத்த எவ்வகையான மாற்றங்கள் செய்யப்படல் வேண்டும்? குடியியல் மற்றம் அரசியல் துறையில் இளைஞர்களை ஊக்குவிக்கும் வகையில், ஓர் இளம் கொள்கை வகுப்பாளராக நீர் எடுக்கும் நடவடிக்கைகள் யாவை? நீர் நினைப்பதை எமக்குத் தெரியப்படுத்துங்கள். சம்பாசனையில் இணையுங்கள்! 25 August AT 01:50 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook