- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work. Visit UNDP's global website.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U. (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Geneva (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Mauritius & Seychelles
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- Samoa (Multi-country Office)
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Tokyo (Rep. Office)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- Research & Publications
- News Centre
Showing 21 - 40 of 88
02 Apr 2013
The Human Development Report 2013 (HDR 2013) published by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) was launched in Sri Lanka as a collaborative effort of UNDP Sri Lanka and the Lakshman Kadirgamar Institute for International Relations and Strategic Studies (LKIIRSS) and was presided over by Hon. (Prof) G. L. Peiris, Minister of External Affairs.
04 Mar 2013
The second phase of the Course for Community Catalysts’ in the districts of Kilinochchi and Mullaitivu concluded with the awarding of certificates to the 124 participants, on 9 February 2013, at Hotel Sudu Araliya in Pollonnaruwa.
28 Jan 2013
UNDP and UNHCR handed over fifteen motorbikes to the Human Rights Commission (HRC) on Monday to facilitate the work of their staff, at the central and regional level, to address human rights concerns including regular monitoring visits and investigation of complaints.
11 Jan 2013
UNDP’s Equal Access to Justice Project, implemented by the Ministry of National Languages and Social Integration, launched a new initiative on Thursday 10 January aimed at strengthening the Rule of Law in Sri Lanka by enhancing the efficacy of the criminal justice system.
30 Dec 2012
A project implemented by the Global Environment Facility/Small Grants Programme (GEF/SGP) of UNDP Sri Lanka on introducing electric vehicles to the country received global recognition recently when it was selected as a winner of the Lighthouse Projects Competition. An initiative of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), the competition awards projects that addresses climate change and deliver social and environmental benefits to the urban poor in developing countries.
03 Dec 2012
Since the Tsunami of December 2004, the Ministry of Disaster Management and the Disaster Management Centre (DMC), have worked together with multiple stakeholders involved in disaster response to set up legal and institutional systems, prepare vulnerable communities for disasters and enhance efforts to minimize disaster risks. Sri Lanka is proud to have a 24/7 early warning and response capacity, which is one of the many significant outcomes of these efforts.
15 Oct 2012
On the morning of Friday 21 September, 8 Members of Parliament from the Women’s Parliamentary Caucus and several of their colleagues from Parliament joined UNDP and several civil society partners for a half day session to explore issues and ideas related to women, peace and security.
12 Oct 2012
The Government of Sri Lanka, Government of Australia and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) today (11 October 2012) launched a new AUD 5 million community forestry program, which will increase forest cover and support small farmers living in Sri Lanka’s dry zone. Forests are a critical environmental and economic resource for Sri Lanka.
07 Oct 2012
Dr. Ajay Chhibber, the UN Assistant Secretary General and Director of UNDP’s Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific concludes a three-day visit to Sri Lanka
Dr. Ajay Chhibber, the UN Assistant Secretary General, UNDP Assistant Administrator and Director of Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific and Chair, UN Regional Director’s Team, Asia and the Pacific visited Sri Lanka from 4 to 6 October to mark the UN’s new 5-year programme framework in Sri Lanka and to assess ongoing programmes of the United Nations Development Programme.
05 Oct 2012
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) launched the Sri Lanka Human Development Report 2012 today in the presence of Hon. Dr. Sarath Amunugama, Senior Minister for Monetary Co-operation and Dr. Ajay Chhibber, the visiting UN Assistant Secretary General, UNDP Assistant Administrator and Director of Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific and Chair, UN Regional Director’s Team, Asia and the Pacific. Titled, ‘Bridging Regional Disparities for Human Development’, this is the second National Human Development Report (NHDR) for Sri Lanka, with the first Report having been produced more than a decade ago in 1998.
09 Aug 2012
Over 60 representatives from the Government, development partners, UN agencies and civil society participated at the stakeholders’ workshop deliberating on the findings of the Assessment of Development Results (ADR), a key report of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). The event was held on 31st July 2012 at the Galadari Hotel, and was co-chaired by Dr. P. B. Jayasundera, Secretary to the Ministry of Finance and Planning and Mr. Indrakumaran Naidoo, Director of the UNDP Evaluation Office in New York.
23 Jul 2012
On 5th July 2012, a strong and diverse group of stakeholders working on women’s empowerment issues came together to explore ways of promoting Security Council Resolution 1325 that looks at Women, Peace and Security. Participants included representatives from the Ministry of Child Development and Women’s Affairs officials, UN agencies, and Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and members of the Network to engage for Peace, Equality, Access, Community and Empowerment (N-Peace).
03 Jul 2012
Colombo+20 - The Future We Want, an advocacy campaign that reflected the theme of the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, commonly known as Rio+20: "the Future We Want", was organized by three youth networks, the V-Force (National Voluntary Taskforce), Youth for a Greener Sri Lanka (YGSL) and the National Youth Services Council (NYSC), and brought together youth from every corner of Sri Lanka.
29 Jun 2012
Following the end of the 30 year conflict, Jaffna’s District Planning Unit was faced with the tremendous task of leading the process of recovery and development. Having seen the types of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and databases used in other districts to facilitate planning, the Jaffna District Officers felt that their work would greatly benefit from adoption of similar systems.
13 Jun 2012
In strengthening the Sri Lanka position ahead of the landmark United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) provided technical and financial assistance for the formulation of three key documents, the Government of Sri Lanka’s National Situation Report, the Citizen’s Report and the Youth Position Paper.
01 Jun 2012
With the end of the war in May 2009, Jaffna District has progressively transformed, moving from stages of early recovery to mid-term recovery and development. The region is seeing movements of populations, who are returning after years of displacement, facing resettlement that is bringing with it its own rays of hope as well as having to deal with other complications.
31 May 2012
30 youth complete the UNDP-Aitken Spence School of Hospitality supported training in the hospitality industry
Thirty youth from Sri Lanka’s North, East and North-Central provinces who successfully completed the first components of their training in the hotel industry conducted by Aitken Spence Hotel Managements (Pvt) Limited, received their certificates on May 28, 2012. The training was conducted with financial support from the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
11 May 2012
Mr. Arunraj, a 40 year old father of three, was displaced four times with his family since the 90’s and therefore, was forced into subsistence livelihoods and low income generating activities. With fishing being his main source of obtaining income, Mr. Arunraj struggled to restart his fishing activities soon after resettlement in 2010. He says, “I faced many challenges in marketing the fish. Due to lack of proper storage, more than 20% of the fish I caught were graded poorly and received low prices. As a result, the income from fishing was not adequate to take care of my family. I had to undertake casual labour work or borrow money to make ends meet”.
04 Apr 2012
Making significant contributions towards increasing the participation of women in decision-making processes in Ampara District, where female participation in local governance structures is amongst the lowest in the country, the newly established Ampara District Women’s Forum will hold their inaugural event on April 5, 2012.
02 Apr 2012
How does a national HIV programme accurately estimate the size of high risk, vulnerable and hard-to-reach populations such as men who have sex with men and transgender persons? The question has long challenged government health authorities as well as community-based organisations and advocates that support surveillance and data collection in countries with populations huge and small alike.
Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: +94-112-581116
Contact UNDP in Sri LankaMedia Inquiries Phone: +94-112-580691
Mail: email@example.com Fax: +94-112-581116
- Ten Things that need to change by Senel Wanniarchchi - Panel Member #NHDR2014 launch event. #YouthNDev 27 August AT 12:25 PM
- “Youth should be part of finding solutions to the difficulties they face, rather than simply being passive recipients of support identified and prioritized by adults… According to the National Youth Survey 2013, 72 percent of respondents indicated that their primary choice of engagement was through voting. Only a much smaller 5 percent appeared to be involved in direct political activism.” Extracted from the Sri Lanka National Human Development Report 2014. As a young person how can you engage in broader political and civic activities? What needs to change to facilitate your participation? As a young policymaker what are you doing to encourage youth engagement in civic and political dimensions? Tell us what you think. Join the conversation! තරුණ සමාජීය සහ දේශපාලන සහභාගිත්වය “තරුණයින් තමා මුහුණපාන ගැටලුවලට විසඳුම් සොයා යාමේදී වැඩිහිටියන් විසින් හඳුනාගනුලැබ ප්රමුඛත්වය දෙනු ලබන විසඳුම් නිහඬව පිළිගන්නවාට වඩා ඔවුන්ද ඒ විසඳුමෙහි කොටස්කරුවන් විය යුතුයි... 2013 ජාතික තරුණ සමීක්ෂණය අනුව ප්රතිචාර දැක්වූවන්ගෙන් සියයට 72 ක්ම තමන්ගේ ප්රාථමික සහභාගිත්වය ඡන්දය දීම පමණක් බව සඳහන් කළහ. සෘජු දේශපාලන ක්රියාකාරී සහභාගිත්වයක් ඇත්තේ සියයට 5 ක් වැනි සුළු පිරිසකගේ පමණි.” උපුටා ගැනීම් 2014 ශ්රී ලංකා ජාතික මානව සංවර්ධන වාර්තාවෙනි. තරුණයින් වශයෙන් ඔබට පුළුල් දේශපාලන හා සමාජ ක්රියාකාරිත්වයේ සහභාගි විය හැක්කේ කෙසේද? ඔබගේ සහභාගිත්වය පහසු කිරීම සඳහා වෙනස් කළ යුත්තේ කුමක්ද? තරුණ ප්රතිපත්ති සැලසුම්කරුවෙකු ලෙස සමාජ සහ දේශපාලන ක්ෂේත්රවල තරුණ සහභාගිත්වය දිරිමත් කිරීමට ඔබ කරන්නේ කුමක්ද? ඔබේ අදහස් අපට කියන්න. අප හා සාකච්ඡාවට එක් වන්න! இளைஞர்களின் குடியியல் மற்றும் அரசியல் பங்கேற்பு “இளைஞர்கள் வயது வந்தோர்களால் அடையாளம்காணப்பட்டு முன்னுரிமைப்படுத்தப்பட்ட விடயங்களினால் பெறும் உதவிகளை முனைப்பின்றி பெறுபவர்களாகவன்றி, அவர்கள் எதிர்கொள்ளும் பிரச்சினைகளுக்கு தீர்வுகாண்பதில் பங்காளிகளாக இருத்தல் வேண்டும்... தேசிய இளைஞர் ஆய்வு – 2013 இன் பிரகாரம், 72 வீதமானோர் பங்கேற்பின் முதன்மையான தெரிவு வாக்களிப்பாகும் என குறிப்பிட்டுள்ளனர். அதேநேரம் ஒரு சிறிய எண்ணிக்கையான 5 வீதமானோர் மாத்திரமே நேரடியான அரசியல் நடவடிக்கைகளில் பங்கேற்கின்றனர்.” இலங்கை தேசிய மானிட அபிவிருத்தி அறிக்கை 2014 இல் இருந்து எடுக்கப்பட்டது நீர் ஒரு இளைஞராக எவ்வாறு இந்த பரந்த அரசியல் மற்றும் குடியியல் செயல்முறைகளில் பங்கேற்க முடியும்? உங்களது பங்கேற்பை வளப்படுத்த எவ்வகையான மாற்றங்கள் செய்யப்படல் வேண்டும்? குடியியல் மற்றம் அரசியல் துறையில் இளைஞர்களை ஊக்குவிக்கும் வகையில், ஓர் இளம் கொள்கை வகுப்பாளராக நீர் எடுக்கும் நடவடிக்கைகள் யாவை? நீர் நினைப்பதை எமக்குத் தெரியப்படுத்துங்கள். சம்பாசனையில் இணையுங்கள்! 25 August AT 01:50 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook